Postdoc Position in USA at Maldonado Lab, UC Davis
Postdoctoral Researcher position in the lab of Dr María Maldonado in the Department of Plant Biology in the College of Biological Sciences to carry out projects in biochemistry and structural biology. The selected candidate will lead independent research projects to understand the structure, evolution and molecular mechanism of mitochondrial and photosynthetic complexes and supercomplexes using single particle cryo-EM as a major approach. Projects will entail organelle isolation, membrane protein purification and performing biochemical, biophysical and spectroscopic assays and experiments. Additional duties and responsibilities include organization of notes, data, and analysis, presentation of data at weekly lab meetings, working with others on the team and basic lab maintenance jobs. The candidate will also train and mentor graduate and undergraduate students in the lab. The selected candidate will have received a PhD in biochemistry, biophysics, plant biology or structural biology. Demonstrated interest in structural biology is required. The ability to work independently in a fast-paced research environment is essential.
• Design and carry out experiments using techniques including membrane protein purification and cryo-EM.
• Collect, analyze, and present data in group meetings and external conferences.
• Maintain detailed experimental records and notes.
• Work with the Principal investigator to prepare high-quality peer-reviewed manuscripts and grant submissions to pursue funding opportunities.
• Provide peer review and feedback on manuscripts and grants.
Lab management (10%)
• Provide technical support and mentoring for junior researchers.
• Contribute to lab maintenance and organization.
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
Graduate degree (PhD or equivalent) in biochemistry, biophysics, plant biology or structural biology with demonstrated interest and/or expertise in structural biology. Candidate also must be able to keep a complete and detailed laboratory notebook of experimental procedures and data and to archive and document reagents and data for publications, grant proposals, and presentations. Solid organizational skills, dependability and pro-activity are a must. Prior experience with membrane proteins, the characterization of protein complexes or knowledge of photosynthetic metabolism and methods is a plus. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills and the ability to work well both independently and as a part of a team.
Preferred qualifications (other preferred, but not required, qualifications for the position)
Experience in single-particle cryoEM.
Experience in structural biology.
Experience in membrane protein biochemistry.
Experience in protein purification.
Experience with biochemical and biophysical assays for photosynthetic protein complexes.
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter (Optional)
- Statement of Research – statement of purpose indicating prior experience, why they are interested in this position and how this position fits into their career plans.
- Statement of Teaching (Optional)
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion – Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.